Requirement for Members
All PHN Members are required to undertake Supervision on a regular basis.
We require ALL PHN Members to:
- Attend Supervision for a minimum of 6 hours per annum
- Supervision can be 1:1, Group, Via Skype or Telephone
- Keep details of each Supervision Session
Requirement for Supervisors
All Supervisors must be PHN Members.
We are in the process of finalising our own PHN Accredited Supervision Course, please contact our Supervision Officer if you would like more details and to be added to a waiting list.
For Hypnotherapists that are qualified Supervisors from another Organisation, we are reviewing applications on their own merits, however if you hold the following qualification or accreditation you will automatically be listed and approved as a Supervisor for PHN:-
- NCH Supervisor
- GHR Acknowledged Supervisor
- AFSFH Supervisor
- NCP Supervisor
- ICH Supervisor
- MindWorks Supervision Course
- Clinical Supervision Certificate
- BACP Accredited Supervisor
- Certificate in Counselling Supervision
- Certificate in Integrated Supervision
If your current Supervision Qualification does not match the above criteria, please email our Supervision Officer (below) and briefly set out your experience in practice, together with any experience and or qualifications (i.e. – not just in hypnotherapy but also previous fields of work, such as nursing, education, business) relevant to supervision, we will be most happy to give this our full consideration.
PHN are committed to encouraging and helping small Supervision Groups be formed throughout the country. The requirements for Groups are:-
- Led by a PHN Accredited Supervisor
- Led by a Supervisor qualified from an Organisation other than PHN
- Every session, each attendee presents a case/issue/requirement. Although we understand that great learning arises from listening to others cases, it is vital that there is space and time for all to be heard and supported individually albeit in a group
- Groups are run regularly; bi monthly to run in line with PHN supervision requirement of 6 hours per annum
- Supervisors to update their Supervision Group Profile with attendees details and reflective feedback
- Supervisees to update their Member Profile with details of Group and reflective feedback
Please note Members do NOT have to be PHN Members to join a PHN Supervision Group.
If you would like to form a group and be listed in your area, please get in touch with the Supervision Officer.
We believe the PHN Supervision relationship needs to be:-
- Qualitative – quality control in working ethically with people
- Developmental – skills, understanding, abilities, resources
- Supporting – providing emotional and professional support
We feel it is important to note, there is no requirement by PHN for Supervisor and Therapist to have the same preferred model or way of working.
PHN Supervision provides:-
- A reflective space for learning – support and development to become more effective
- Ongoing development process for professionals of all levels – moving on from ‘required’ standards to grow to excellence
- A framework for therapists to set boundaries and work more intelligently and skilfully
- A focused attendance to a therapist’s personal and professional development
The Supervision relationship will:-
- Support development personally and professionally, so that therapists are able to provide best practice to every client
- Identify and clarify expectations of the supervisee, allowing the relationship to develop with clear boundaries and realistic role expectations
- Create a working alliance
- Encourage awareness, attention, being present and open
- Review and develop practice
- Provide a forum to attend to emotional, professional and business wellbeing and growth
- Give feedback to allow perspectives to broaden, generation of new ideas, and maintenance of good standards of effective practice
- Give a foundation for growth, commitment, competence and engagement by allowing ideas to flow whereby new learning can emerge
Key reflection point for the supervisor:
“How do I enter this field of conversation so that my supervisee becomes better at what he or she does?”
Key characteristics of the effective supervisor:
- To develop, protect and inspire
- Be a role model
- Be a compassionate observer/witness
- To challenge – suggesting shifts in thinking
- Facilitate reflective learning
- Set up a regular habit, structure/routine that is applied to the process of reflective learning
- Support best practice
- Create safe, open spaces
- Skills development for new therapists
- Reflective learning framework
- Build confidence in the supervisee to use their own inner resources and skills
- To provide a co created learning environment that supports the supervisee in their development to provide best practice to their client and feel personally resourced
- Be a forum to attend to their wellbeing and growth
- Be responsible for protecting and wellbeing of client and therapist
To get the most out of supervision you should embrace the following:
- By reflection and review the supervisee can develop, re-energise and feel supported
- Be present with oneself
- Enquire and learn from experience
- Receive feedback, broaden perspective, generate new ideas
- Give a consistent and professional service in the best interest of the client, whilst attending to own wellbeing both professionally and emotionally
Reflection and insight rests with the supervisee.
To apply to become a PHN supervisor please download, print, complete, sign, scan and return this application form by email to the Supervision Officer at the email address below.
Train to be a PHN Accredited Supervisor
Have you been qualified for 3 years, seeing clients regularly with your Continual Professional Development (CPD) up to date?
Would you like to see our field grow and develop by using your skills and knowledge to guide other Hypnotherapists?
We are offering our own PHN Supervisor Training that will build upon PHN key principles of encouraging excellence, evidence and growth of each individual whilst developing our profession as a whole.
If you would like to know more about The Professional Hypnotherapy Network’s Accredited Supervisors Course, please use the email below to find out more.
For more information or to get in touch please contact the Supervision Officer direct by email at firstname.lastname@example.org